Sunday, March 29, 2009

Tha S-A-double-D-I-Q


I've been a long-time fan of Raphael Saadiq's. The man is straight-up an amazing artist, vocalist, bass player and all-around music producer. The list of artists that he's worked with and produced is legendary, including Q-Tip, D'Angelo, Joss Stone and Stevie Wonder. From the days of Tony! Toni! Toné!, the mega-trio of Lucy Pearl and through all of his solo albums he's only gotten better and better.

I was fortunate enough to have seen him live for the first time, back in 2003 during a small in-studio session for an MHz special on him to promote his first solo stint, Instant Vintage. I actually got to meet him, and he was a very chill and humble dude. I'd heard a lot of buzz surrounding his most recent album The Way I see It (have yet to peep the whole thing...), and when I learned that he was goingto be in DC at tha 9:30 club, I HAD to be there. The show was absolutely incredible!!! I'd gotten a preview from his performance of the first single
100 Yard Dash, on Jimmy Kimmel Live. He came to DC with the same 6-piece band, and all of the energy of that taping, and even MORE. The band was tight, well rehearsed, and Saadiq was in absolute control at all times. The energy that they gave, and the crowd received and returned 10 fold, made it an unforgettable concert.

For a taste of what the show was like, here are some clips from his VH1 Soul Stage performance:











And, this performance from the Musicians @ Google session is nice, as well; but in no way measures-up to the show at 9:30. If you take this and multiply it by 100, you might be close...


No comments: