Sunday, August 10, 2008

Isaac Hayes

Isaac Lee Hayes, Jr.
August 20, 1942 – August 10, 2008


I'm just basically immune to any news of people passing at this point, this weekend. First Bernie, and now Isaac...

The bitterness I feel about all of this extends to the facts that: 1) Losing two legends like this at any point, let alone in the same 36 hours, sucks. And, 2) I definitely wasn't at all trying to make this Saj's Corn3r venture, just your next/average obitu-blog...Especially, to get things jumping-off. But, I've got to show respect to those that mean the most to me in the arts, music and life in general. So, here it is.

A lot of people know him best from his work with the Shaft soundtrack in general, and title track. While others, will recall that sweet, deep, honey-souled (...Chocolate Salty Balls) voice, as 'Chef' from South Park.

For me specifically, I remember Isaac best from the Stax LPs my parents used to play; selections from late night sessions of The Quiet Storm on WHUR; guest appearances and musical selections on numerous television shows, from Sesame Street to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air; and, as the hilarious 'Hammer,' from Keenen Ivory Wayans' I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.

Although it's sad to have him gone, his legacy is sure to live-on throughout the ages. Fortunately, early reports had him passing next to his treadmill...so, hopefully things were relatively painless and I'm certain that he's in a better place. Although I, (his two-year old son, Nana Kwadjo Hayes...) and a lot of others, sure would've liked to have had him around, just a little bit longer...




No comments: